News From the Friends
Library Newsletter now available by email
Use the City of Cedar Falls' "Notify Me" service to have the newsletter delivered automatically to your email every month. Go to http://www.cedarfalls.com /and click on "Notify Me" in the upper right-hand corner. Follow the instructions and check "Public Library" to receive this newsletter at the beginning of each month.
Friends of the Cedar Falls Public Library
Minutes of the Annual Meeting
April 21, 2012
Present: 41 members and guests of the Cedar Falls FOTL were present.
Welcome and Introduction of Program: Sue Doody, President of FOTL, introduced today’s program, presented by Half Masted, a comedic group from UNI organized by Doug Shaw of the mathematics department. They presented several acts, including deleted scenes from Classic Literature and a skit called Crosswords.
President Sue Doody called the Annual Business Meeting to order at 12:00 noon.
She thanked the current FOTL Board members.
Minutes: The minutes from the April 9, 2011, annual meeting were presented. Motion by Joan Duea, seconded by Lynn Blair-Broeker, to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
President’s Report: President Sue Doody summarized the year’s work and finances of FOTL in lieu of individual reports from Board members. Highlights of her report include the following:
- The Book Nook is the main income-producing segment of the FOTL. Over $41,000 was brought into the Book Nook through sales of books, magazines, DVDs and other miscellaneous items. In addition, through the hard work of our new Membership Chair, Joan Duea, approximately $8,000 was realized in membership dues (300 plus members).
- More than $30,000 was given in support of the Cedar Falls Public Library in the form of the new Young Adults area. Visit this area and see what we have done.
- Less than five percent of the annual budget is spent on maintenance of FOTL.
- A book for the library will be presented to commemorate outgoing board members Bob Robinson, Sue Doody and Maelou Baxter.
- The FOTL gives quiet and consistent support to the Cedar Falls Public Library. This ranges from book groups, support for children’s programs separate from the regular programs of the CFPL, appreciation to the staff in the form of culinary delights throughout the year.
- During the past year, Sheryl McGovern, Sue Doody and Bob Robinson have visited civic groups promoting the FOTL and CFPL.
- The future of the library is, of course, our youth and children. The playhouse has been redecorated, refurbished and remodeled due to efforts of FOTL.
- Sue closed by saying “Thank you. It is a pleasure to work here as a volunteer.”
On behalf of the Nominating Committee, Kim Prinsen recommended the election of Carol Brown, Maelou Baxter and David Walker to the FOTL Board. Motion was seconded by Joan Loslo that a unanimous ballot be cast. Motion carried.
Barb Cardamon announced that a new leader is needed for Book Talk. This group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 10:00 a.m. and arranges for speakers.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, Lynn Blair-Broeker thanked all the Friends for attending the meeting and expressed thanks to outgoing board members, Bob Robinson, Sue Doody and Maelou Baxter.
Meeting was adjourned at 12:25, followed by a delicious salad luncheon.
Sara Lair, Secretary
Friends of the Library Annual Report 2011-2012
Friends’ support of the library continues to grow. It grows steadily because of the financial resources and the dedication of the Friends Board and the general membership. The support takes many different forms—support of the building, programming, events, and literacy outreach. Below are the many ways the Friends have supported the library and literacy in the Cedar Valley.
- Provided $30,000 for renovation of the Young Adult area
- Purchased 3 replacement bushes for library gardens
- Purchased Young Adult area electronic bulletin board and laminator for staff
- Remodeled and redecorated Youth Department playhouse
Library Programming Support
- Funded instructors for WiFi computer lab
- Organized and supported monthly adult book discussion groups and book talks
- Assisted in financially supporting summer library programs for all ages
- Provided lunch for library staff and breakfast for annual City Council/Library Trustee meeting
Literacy Outreach Support
- Purchased a book for each Cedar Falls 5th grader for Cedar Valley Youth Reads event
- Purchase "Book Page" for patrons
For Friends information, contact Maelou Baxter at email@example.com or call the CFPL at 319-273-8643.